Hemp pain patches have become increasingly popular as an alternative form of pain relief in recent years. This popularity is due in part to the growing interest in natural pain remedies and the increasing awareness of the potential risks and side effects associated with traditional pain relief medications.
Hemp pain patches are designed to deliver the therapeutic benefits of hemp oil through the skin directly to the affected area of the body, providing relief for up to 24 hours. While the use of hemp for medicinal purposes dates back thousands of years, the development of modern hemp pain patches represents a significant advancement in this field.
In this article, we will explore how hemp pain patches work and the benefits they can offer for those seeking natural remedies for pain.
What Are Hemp Pain Patches?
Hemp pain patches are a type of transdermal patch infused with hemp oil plus additional transdermal carriers that enable the hemp oil through the skin or dermal layer. The patches can be applied to venous areas such as the top of the hand or foot to enable systemic relief or in less venous areas such as the back, knee or shoulder to target relief to localized pain and inflammation without the need for oral medication.
How Are Hemp Pain Patches Made?
The hemp oil used in these patches is usually derived from industrial hemp plants. Effective hemp pain patches are typically made using hemp oil plus a carrier molecule to enable the hemp to cross the skin barrier. Carrier molecules such as COQ10 found in black pepper help the hemp extract penetrate the skin and deliver therapeutic effects.
The Different Types of Hemp Topical Products
Several different types of hemp topical products are available on the market, each with its own unique formulation and delivery method. Some of the most common types of hemp pain products include:
- Transdermal patches: Transdermal hemp pain patches are designed to deliver hemp oil directly into the bloodstream through the skin if applied to venous areas or provide increased localized relief if applied to less venous areas. These patches are typically designed to last up to 24 hours and more potent than other topical hemp products.
- Hemp lotion: Hemp lotion are topical lotions infused with hemp oil and other natural ingredients like shea butter or aloe vera. These lotions are designed to moisturize and nourish the skin while providing targeted pain relief.
- Hemp sprays: Some hemp products combine the benefits of transdermal and topical delivery methods, using a combination of hemp oil, alcohol (potent carrier molecule), and other natural ingredients to provide deeper targeted pain relief than lotions.
Compared to other hemp-based pain relief products, hemp pain patches offer a unique combination of convenience and lasting relief. Because they can be applied directly to the affected area of the body, they can provide more targeted relief than other systemic products. In addition, they are easy to use and can be worn discreetly under clothing, making them a convenient option for people on the go.
How Do Hemp Pain Patches Work?
Hemp pain patches deliver active hemp ingredients across the skin barrier. The patch is placed on the skin and the active hemp ingredients are released over hours. If the patch is placed in a venous region the active ingredients will enter the bloodstream, bypassing the digestive system and liver, which can increase the effectiveness of the active ingredients and decrease the probability that the ingredients are broken down and lost (in the process of digestion) before it reaches the target site.
The active ingredients in hemp pain patches interact with the body’s endocannabinoid system, which plays a crucial role in regulating pain and inflammation. The endocannabinoid system includes receptors found in the peripheral nervous system and immune cells. By binding to these receptors, the hemp patches can help to reduce pain and inflammation in the affected area without causing the side effects associated with systemic medications.
Mechanisms of Pain Relief Hemp Pain Patches Provide
The mechanisms of pain relief provided by hemp pain patches are thought to be similar to those of other hemp-based pain relief products, such as hemp oil or hemp lotion. The active ingredients in hemp pain patches interact with the endocannabinoid system, which regulates pain, inflammation, and other physiological processes.
In addition, some hemp pain patches may also contain other natural ingredients like menthol or camphor, which can provide a cooling or warming sensation that can help to alleviate pain and discomfort.
Advantages Compared to Traditional Pain Relief Methods
Hemp pain patches offer several advantages compared to traditional pain relief methods, including:
- Non-addictive: Many traditional pain relief medications like opioids or prescription painkillers can be addictive and have a high risk of abuse. Hemp pain patches, on the other hand, are non-addictive and have a low risk of abuse or dependence.
- Long Lasting: Traditional pain relief medications often only work for a few hours with various systemic side effects, including nausea, dizziness, and drowsiness. Hemp pain patches, on the other hand, can be used for up to 24 hours.
- More targeted relief: Traditional pain relief medications are often systemic, which means that they affect the entire body. Hemp pain patches, on the other hand, can be used to target systemic pain relief (applied to venous area) or targeted relief (if applied to non venous area) for localized pain and inflammation.
- Natural ingredients: Traditional pain relief medications are often made with synthetic chemicals that can negatively affect the body. Hemp pain patches, on the other hand, are made with all-natural ingredients like hemp oil, carrier oils, and other natural ingredients. These ingredients make them a safer and more natural option for people looking for a more holistic approach to pain relief.
- Easy to use: Hemp pain patches are easy to use and can be worn discreetly under clothing. They don’t require any special equipment or medical procedures, making them a convenient option for people looking for a non-invasive and natural form of pain relief.
What Kind of Pain Can Hemp Patches Help With?
Hemp pain patches are a promising natural remedy for a variety of different types of pain, including:
- Musculoskeletal pain: Hemp pain patches can effectively relieve pain and inflammation associated with musculoskeletal conditions like arthritis, back pain, and fibromyalgia.
- Neuropathic pain: Hemp pain patches may also be effective for treating neuropathic pain, which is caused by damage to the nerves. Neuropathic pain can be challenging to treat with traditional pain relief medications, but hemp pain patches may offer a natural and effective alternative.
- Headaches and migraines: Some people find that hemp pain patches can effectively relieve headaches and migraines, especially when combined with other natural remedies like essential oils or massage therapy.
- Menstrual cramps: Hemp pain patches may also be effective for relieving menstrual cramps, a common source of pain and discomfort for many women.
- Postoperative pain: Hemp pain patches may also be effective for relieving postoperative pain, as they can provide targeted pain relief without the side effects associated with traditional pain relief medications.
It’s important to note that while hemp pain patches may be effective for treating a variety of different types of pain, they are not a substitute for medical advice or treatment. If you are experiencing chronic or severe pain, it’s important to talk to a healthcare provider to determine the underlying cause and develop an appropriate treatment plan.
Potential Side Effects
While hemp pain patches are generally considered safe and well-tolerated, it’s essential to be aware of the potential side effects associated with their use. Some people may experience mild skin irritation or redness at the site of the patch, especially if they have sensitive skin or are allergic to adhesives.
However, it’s important to note that these side effects are relatively rare, and many people find that hemp pain patches provide effective pain relief without causing any adverse effects. If you are concerned about the potential side effects of using a hemp pain patch, you can talk to a healthcare provider or pharmacist for guidance on using the product safely and effectively.
How to Use Hemp Pain Patches
Hemp pain patches are designed to be easy to use and can be applied at home without any special equipment or medical training. However, following the application instructions carefully is important to ensure safety and effectiveness.
- Clean the affected area: Before applying a hemp pain patch, it’s important to clean the affected area of the body with soap and water. Adequate cleaning will help to remove any dirt or oil that could interfere with the patch’s ability to adhere to the skin.
- Dry the skin: Once the skin is clean, dry it thoroughly with a clean towel. Make sure that the skin is completely dry before applying the patch.
- Peel off the backing: Carefully peel off the backing from the hemp pain patch to expose the adhesive side.
- Apply the patch: Place the adhesive side of the patch onto the affected area of the body and press down firmly to ensure that it adheres to the skin.
- Remove the patch: Most hemp pain patches are designed to be worn for several hours at a time. However, following the manufacturer’s instructions for how long to wear the patch is important. To remove the patch, gently peel it off the skin and dispose of it in the trash.
The recommended dosage for hemp pain patches may vary depending on the specific product and the severity of the pain or inflammation. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully when using a hemp pain patch and to avoid using more than the recommended amount. Overusing hemp pain patches can lead to skin irritation or other side effects.
Length of Time for Pain Relief
The length of time that a hemp pain patch provides pain relief may vary depending on the specific product and the severity of the pain or inflammation. Some patches may provide relief for up to 24 hours, while others may need to be changed more frequently. It’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully and change the patch as required to maintain optimal pain relief.
Precautions and Contraindications
While hemp pain patches are generally safe and well-tolerated, there are some precautions and contraindications to be aware of. People with sensitive skin may experience skin irritation or allergic reactions when using a hemp pain patch.
It’s also important to avoid using hemp pain patches on open wounds or broken skin, as this can increase the risk of infection. Additionally, hemp pain patches may interact with certain medications, so it’s important to talk to a healthcare provider before using a hemp pain patch if you take any prescription medications.
Discover Natural Remedies for Pain With Basic Jane
Hemp pain patches are a promising new development in the field of natural remedies for pain, offering a non-invasive and convenient way to deliver the therapeutic benefits of hemp oil directly to the affected area. With various types and formulations available, hemp pain patches are a versatile and effective option for those seeking a natural alternative to traditional pain relief methods.
Basic Jane makes natural remedies for pain easy to use so you can enjoy your favorite activities again. There are countless ways to treat pain areas, from hemp oil and hemp lotion to pain patches. Check out our wide range of products (including hemp patches), and don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.